Feeds RSS
Feeds RSS

Monday, April 19, 2010

Disciplining My Children, the Blue Slipper Way


I will not say that I am an expert in disciplining children, but I do know a trick or two. With three children under my belt, I did earn a white belt or something in discipline. My children are not saints but I can honestly say that they are not rascals either. Now I will share to you my tricks.


Establish boundaries

I see to it that my children know what is allowed and what is not allowed, and I make sure that they understand why, and what is the penalty for violating Mom’s rules.
Reinforce the boundariesOur children, no matter how adorable they all look like, do sometimes behave like outlaws and deliberately cross the line. I called this disobedience, and this carries with it the maximum penalty. As a mother it is my God-given responsibility to remain consistently steadfast and firm with my ‘NO’ in the face of my children’s pleading, crying, negotiations, etc. and to impose the pre-agreed penalty when necessary.


Discipline to teach

To me, discipline is to teach my child a lesson; it is not to vent my frustration and anger. Of course I am not a perfect mom, I made mistakes from time to time, but I always tried my best to overcome my shortcomings.


Use the blue slipper

At home, disobedience is the worst mistake, and therefore deserves the maximum penalty – the blue slipper. I choose this because it can be painful yet not so hard. The point of inflicting pain is to make sure that they cannot forget their mistake. Let me emphasize that, I don’t discipline my children for childish for breaking a glass because lack of motor control. Disobedience and lack of respect is what I don’t tolerate.

Put a closure

At home, after every disciplinary session I see to it that there is a closure. This is very important part of the discipline process. I did this by talking to my child, explaining to her the consequence of her wrong action to her and to others, telling her that I love her and that I don’t want her to become a bad person, hugging her for the longest time, and praying loudly for her.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm not a mother yet but it doesn't mean i can't relate to what u've said. i'm a teacher and my profession gives me the opportunity to become one. ur way of discipline can also be applied to my kids in skul. i think it will be effective. thanks for sharing to me/us ur expertise.

dhynzkie81

Riza said...

I luv this one.…. This could be a great help to all moms out there. More blogs pa sis…=)

luzette said...

Tnx sis... Same here with me, disobedience, signs of not respecting others, lies are big no nos to me... I told them before saying anything else or making any moves, think it first??? if that actions can make them happy or the other party, go for it... But if they will hurt someone and vise versa, and most specially if that can make Papa Jesus sad... Stop and better to be silent than hurting others and Jesus...

God bless you...

Ruveylene A. Derit said...

@ anonymous
Thank you for appreciating this blog. I hope that the tips here will be helpful in your classroom.

Ruveylene A. Derit said...

@Rizza
Thank you sis for following all my posts.... I'm so inspired in making more posts :)

Ruveylene A. Derit said...

@Luzette
Thank you zette for that comment.... I really agree on your point of view.

May God bless you more!

Ann said...

..am following your posts.Goodluck,enjoy blogging!and earning as well if I may add:))

Ruveylene A. Derit said...

@annscooking

I'm very happy Ann that you follow my blogg.
Actually the main reason why I started my blog is to share my experiences being a fulltime mom. It's my hopes and dreams that other moms can learn something from this blog and also share their own knowledge and experience to me and to other moms. I don't want to claim that I am an expert... I just care. If I'm gonna earn something out of this blogg that would be a bonus for me.

Post a Comment